Clonmacnoise       Google Earth

Shannonbridge

an der R357 zwischen Ballinasloe und Cloghan
near the R357 between Ballinsaloe to Cloghan

Clonmacnoise war einst bekannt als "Universität des Westens" und als Zentrum Irischer Kunst und Literatur war es unvergleichbar. Viele Könige von Connacht wurden hier beigesetzt, einschließlich Turloch Mor O'Conor und Ruari O'Conor`. Es war eine größere Klosterstadt als Glendalough, mit Werkstätten sowie Wohnunterkünften für Arbeiter, bewaffneten Verteidigern und Mönchen. Es wird berichtet, dass im Jahre 1179 nicht weniger als 105 dieser Gebäude niedergebrannt wurden. In seinem heutigen ruinösem Zustand zeigt sich Clonmacnoise sehr stimmungsvoll als spektakuläres Relikt des frühen christlichen Irlands. Die Überreste, acht Kirchen, zwei Rundtürme, fünf Hochkreuze und mehr als fünfhundert Grabsteine, viele davon mit Reliefs und Inschriften versehen, hoch über den Wellen des Shannon gelegen, bieten einen einzigartigen Anblick. Clonmacnoise wurde im 6. Jhdt. von St. Ciaran gegründet. Der Heilige stammte aus Connacht und, der Legende nach, half ihm König Diarmuid von Tara mit bloßen Händen beim Aufbau seiner ersten hölzernen Kirche hier in Clonmacnoise.
Clonmacnoise was known as the "University of the West" and as a centre of Irish art and literature it was unrivalled. Many kings of Tara and kings of Connacht were buried there, including Turloch Mor O'Conor and Ruari O'Conor. It was a larger monastic city than Glendalough, with workshops and the dwellings of workers and armed retainers as well as of monks. It is recorded that in 1179 no fewer than 105 of these houses were burned down. In its present ruined state Clonmacnoise is one of the most poetic as well as one of the most spectacular relics of Early Christian Ireland. The remains, eight churches, two Round Towers, five High Crosses and more than five hundred early gravestones, many of them inscribed and decorated with reliefs, are superbly sited on high ground, vividly green, pastoral and solitary, overlooking the broad, glassy water of the Shannon curving about a vast plain. Clonmacnoise was founded in the 6th century by St. Ciaran. The saint came from Connacht and, according to a legend, King Diarmuid of Tara helped Ciaran with his own hands to build his first wooden church at Clonmacnoise.




neu laden - reload