Lusk Round Tower

Google Earth

Lusk

Church Road
Church Road

Ende des 5.Jahrhunderts gründete St. Mac Cuillin hier ein Kloster. Dieses wurde von den Wikingern 827 und 856 geplündert ebenso wie von den Iren 1053, 1089 und 1133 wobei immer wieder Personen, die im Kloster Zuflucht gesucht hatten, zu Tode kamen. Der in den Glockenturm eingearbeitete Rundturm ist das einzige ‹berbleibsel dieser frühen Klosteranlage. Rundtürme sind auffällige Bauwerke früher irischer Abteien. In erster Linie dienten sie als Glockentürme, die direkte Übersetzung des gälischen Wortes "cloigtheach" fand schon in den Annalen Verwendung. Sie waren sicherlich ein Symbol für den Reichtum der Abtei, aber auch ein Zufluchtsort und ein sicherer Lagerplatz für Schätze.
A monastery was founded here by St. Mac Cuillin at the end of the 5th century. It was plundered by the Vikings in 827 and 856, and by the Irish in 1053, 1089 and 1133 when each time a number of people died who had taken refuge in the church. The Round Tower incorporated in the belfry is the only remnant of the early monastery. Round Towers are prominent buildings in many early Irish monasteries. They seem to have been used primarily as bell-houses - a direct translation of the word "cloigtheach" which was used to describe such towers in the Annals. But they were probably also a symbol of the monastery's wealth and a secure place to hide and keep relics.The square belfry tower was built in the 15th/16th century.








neu laden - reload